Pages

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Following through on a promise

Before Barack Obama was President-elect -- from the very beginning of his campaign -- he pledged to change the way Washington works. That meant not accepting any financial contributions from lobbyists or political action committees.

Voters often said this was one of the major reasons they supported Barack, and they've been writing to the Transition to tell us how important they think it is that this commitment continues.

Lexington from San Diego, CA, wrote:

"When I first learned of Barack Obama, I was encouraged by his thoughts [on] ending the power of lobbyists and the negative effect of the revolving door on the White House. I'd like to see an agenda that focuses on promoting transparency and getting people into government who sincerely want to serve the interests of the nation over their own careers."

John from Seattle, WA wrote, "I am so tired of special interests getting the best of us all. I support you and hope that you will allow the common guy to have a say in how we are to be governed from now on."

Now Barack has taken the first step, with new rules that restrict how lobbyists can participate in the transition -- just as he restricted how they could participate in the campaign.

The new policy, which ethics experts have praised as a bold step forward, was only announced yesterday -- but already people have written in to show their support.

Sarah from Brockport, NY, wrote, "Today I read about the tough new rules for lobbyists and it just further solidified the faith I have in this administration to bring about a real change....I am feeling real patriotic and in tune with my government for the first time in my 46 years."

Carmen from Olympia, WA wrote simply: "Thank you for the transition ethics. Thank you."

***

I am so happy to read this because I firmly believe that democracy in this country has completely lost its meaning. I am reading a book for class and I have to write an academic review. The book is called One Nation, Underprivileged: Why American Poverty Affects Us All by Mark Robert Rank. There is a section in the book on Democracy, Liberty, Justice and Equality and how the existence of poverty undermines these ideals. Impoverished groups are excluded or underrepresented in the democratic process and are usually not knowledgeable in how to speak up for themselves. Poor are often invisible in the democratic! We will never see change the process continues this way. We ALL need to speak and be heard.

No comments:

Post a Comment