Pages

Monday, December 1, 2008

WORLD AIDS DAY

Bloggers Unite

I took an AIDS course during my undergrad. I've always had this passion for epidemiology, although I could never make it through the schooling for it. My brain just is not wired for math and science (although I love Biology!) Anywho, the AIDS class was simply put - amazing! I definitely owe it to the teacher, Adi. The course was online and she actually lived out of state. However, she opened my eyes to the human side of the disease, which really translates to the work I will be doing in the Social Work field.

  • She had us write personal stories about ourselves (if we chose to) and it allowed me to talk about personal things in my life.
  • We had to make up a story, and I chose a friend's life experience as the basis for that one.
  • We had to analyze movies that cover diseases - I chose Rent and Yesterday - two very touching productions that cover the human side of AIDS (HA! A Rent tune just started playing on my ITunes - freaky!).
  • We had to analyze a chapter of an Epidemiology book. I choose the HIV chapter since I wanted to learn more. It covered the history of the disease and how far we have come in our knowledge of it. WOW - you would not even believe the things they believed about HIV back then. It is almost laughable, but so very sad to imagine those who lived and died with it back then.
  • Probably the most amazing part of this class was the amazing book I was introduced too. I probably would not have come across it otherwise, and I was so thankful that I was able to read it. The book is called What Looks Like Crazy On An Ordinary Day by Pearl Cleage. It is entertaining (the main character has a spicy attitude and she is very open about her disease) and heart-warming. It allows us to view the human side of the disease, as you follow the main character through a crazy ride, and see the disease through her eyes. A very empowering book. READ IT.
I bring this personal story up because I think it is important for everyone to have a personal experience in order to better understand situations. I don't mean contracting the disease (duh) but exposing yourself to it, in some form of education, meeting some who is infected.

So - HERE IS YOUR EDUCATION!

Today is WORLD AIDS DAY. On the 1st of December, World AIDS Day, individuals and organizations from around the world come together to bring attention to the global AIDS epidemic. 2008 marks the 20th anniversary of World AIDS Day. Whilst we have come a long ways since 1988, there is still much more to be done. As part of the Bloggers Unite massive, I want to make sure everyone knows a bit about the movement to eradicate this nasty little virus. We did it with small pox right?

How can you participate?
  • In a world full of drug abuse - especially among our youth – we should all learn about the connections between HIV and drug use. It doesn't all have to do with needle use. Drug use can lead to risky behaviors, like sex without protection. This is HUGE, and definitely the main avenue for transmission of the disease. Read about this link at NIDA.
  • Educate yourself from a reputable source: Visit the CDC website.
  • TALK ABOUT IT with your partner!! Be smart!
  • Support Product (Red)
  • GET TESTED!!There are so many ways to achieve this, and many are anonymous. If you are a student, you definitely have options available through school. If not, click here to find the nearest testing center.
To find HIV Test Centers near you Text: Your Zip Code To: KnowIt (566948) www.hivtest.org

___
In other news, I called in to work today. I was up all night with a migraine that made me sick. I don't get them often, but dang - I knew something was going on yesterday afternoon. I am not quick to point out halos since I don't get them often, but I could tell something was definitely not right. Blech. I am completely wired right now from no sleep. It took me a long time to actually write this dang blog in a coherent manner...*yawn*

No comments:

Post a Comment