Pages

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Obama's People

So, after the glorious inauguration yesterday, I was browsing though the New York Time's special magazine edition - Obama's People. I came across a face I am all too familiar with: SAMANTHA POWER!!!!!!


I'm a big fan of Samantha Power (she's Irish!). She is a top foreign policy expert from Harvard, and to be more specific, she is a genocide expert. Her fist book, A Problem from Hell: America and the Age of Genocide; is a book I have referenced many times while writing papers in my undergrad. It is a seamless account of all the genocides since Armenia, and how the U.S. was or was not involved.


Anywho, this probably means nothing for any of you. However - I feel like this is a HUGE step in the right direction for Darfur and the countless other human rights atrocities that are occurring around the globe. This, to me, shows that Obama is genuinely concerned about these stupid violent acts.


My Human Diversity teacher also shared with us that he has worked with Barack and Michelle in Chicago. He wanted to give us his opinion on our new President, and the best thing he could say about the man was that he genuinely listens. Can you imagine a President that listens to his people??


WOOHOO!

No comments:

Post a Comment