Pages

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

No one can prepare you for what you're about to see.

Which would be ME, role playing a counseling session with a classmate, with the teacher and other classmates watching, and being video taped! eeep! *falls over* People watching me during my very first counseling attempt is nerve racking enough, but being taped, watching the tape with the class, and hearing all the criticisms (don't mind this so much) is even worse! Gah. I can do it though - I CAN DO IT! My partner is going be a young women who is pregnant and not sure of what her plan is. Fitting, no?

Met with my field supervisor yesterday to go over the learning plan, since the draft is due tonight. C. laid out every opportunity under the rainbow, and allowed me to choose which ones I wanted to focus on. Needless to say, I want to experience ALL of it, but my crazy life is not so accommodating to that these days. Once the plan is finalized, I will have a guide, and a guide is much needed. I want to make sure I stay focused. H O C U S F O C U S!

C. also sat with me a few hours (I feel so bad about this, even though it's part of the process, because she is SO busy) and explained some past situations with clients, some current issues she is dealing with, and some great successes. She's actually placed TWO sibling groups of FOUR with wonderful parents. Those type of successes don't come often, but man - that is certainly something to be proud of.

I really like C. and I feel blessed to have been placed in an agency under someone like her. She is big on reflective practice, which is looking inward and examining yourself in situations, asking yourself what could have been done differently, etc. I don't do this enough in my life so I'm looking forward to it. I am certain it will be of great help during this learning process.

She is also a counselor for pregnant women who are exploring the adoption option. This is a website created by Children's Home Society of Florida for these women: http://www.decisiontomake.com/


I also must mention the HELL of a weekend I had! I had a migraine Friday night (not common for me, although I have headaches constantly from neck pain, hormones, etc). I went to bed and woke up at 2 AM to vomit! Ugh - not fun. Todd woke up and freaked out, poor guy. He stayed with me and got me some water. I woke up with the headache on Saturday, and my stomach was a mess all day. Boo. THEN, Sunday night, I couldn't sleep. I was SO alert, and didn't manage to sleep until 4 AM! Then, a rain storm woke me around 5 AM, and I had to get up at 6. So, my 2 hours of sleep was even interrupted. Lame. Yesterday sucked, but I go through it. Didn't end up going to sleep until late though, and now I feel really tired, even though I got 7 hours of sleep.

Anywho, I've got a lot to do. Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment